Sunday, October 28, 2012

06 Waste Molds Nº 48




I start melting the moulage with a couple of jars of chopped-up moulage. I keep adding a couple of jars as the moulage melts until I have about 10 pounds of moulage in the double boiler. When the moulage has melted, I take it off the double boiler and let it cool down to a pourable temperature. I judge this temperature by placing my hands on the sides of the stainless steel pot. When I can hold my hand on the pot for a little while, without discomfort, it is ready to pour. Click on any image to enlarge it.






This is the moulage mold poured. The wire armature from the neck is sticking out from the top of the mold. That hole will be plugged by the mold sitting on the floor when I pour the carving wax into the mold.






After pouring the mold, this is how much moulage was left over. I would rather have a wee bit more, than not enough.






After the moulage cools down and sets up, I take the coddles off the mold.






I used my mold knife, made from an old hacksaw blade, to cut the mold. The hacksaw blade mold knife leaves. registration keys as it cuts. I used a knife to slice across the bottom of the mold.






I cut up a couple of cereal boxes to make the mold box.






I use masking tape to fasten the mold box together. The cardboard overlaps, so it holds the moulage together quite well for a pour.






When the carving wax has melted, I pour the mold in a steady stream into the moulage mold. After the carving wax has thickened around the walls of the mold, I empty the excess carving wax back into the wax pot. I have a water saturated plasr mold ready to take extra carving wax.






I fill the carving wax casting with cold water to cool it down. I use a knife to score the carving wax in the water saturated plaster mold so it will be easier to break apart for the next melt .






This is the carving wax casting of the upper torso, showing the front of the torso.






This is the back of the carving wax torso.






This is a photo of all of the carving wax doll parts on a tray. There is a head, an upper torso, arms and hands, a lower torso, and legs and feet.






The next section will be about carving wax.






Hot-melt moulage is reusable if it is kept moist. I wrap the moulage mold in a plastic bag to keep it moist until I can chop it up and store it in Atlas mason jars with tight fitting lids.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.