Saturday, November 17, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 10




Now that all the spares have been trimmed off the carving wax castings, it is time to begin to do a little wax work. While most people might want to jump in and start working on the face, I have one very important job to do, before I can really get started on anything else. Since I only had a finite quantity of hot-melt moulage, I cut the torso in half in order to mold it. The place where I cut it was better for making the mold, and was not where I wanted to cut the torso for making the torso joint. So the first thing I want to do is weld the torso back together again. I am still getting acquainted with my new wax pen, so instead of practicing wax welding on the torso, I start out by practicing wax welding on the spares from the torso. Click on any image to enlarge it.



In the photo montage above, from left to right; I am filling a space between the spares with the wax pen, the space filled with melted carving wax, and the weld smoothed with a paring knife. The final step, if working on an actual doll part, would be to sand the weld to make it smooth. This is the basic method of working with carving wax: add, subtract, smooth, repeat.




The first thing I do is trim the edges of the torso that are to be welded with my paring knife. Then I set the torso on a flat surface and make sure that the  buttocks and the shoulder blades are setting flat. I line up the two halves of the torso as closely as I can.






I use a small piece of Roma plastilina to support the back in the proper position while I weld the carving wax with my wax pen.






I turn on the wax pen and let it heat up. I have figured out exactly where to set the rotary dial so that the carving wax will melt, but not smoke. It is the perfect temperature. I start out by tacking the torso halves together with some small welds, spaced apart.






After tack welding all around the torso with the wax pen, I start to weld the halves together solidly. I try to weld as much of the thickness together as I can. I sort of figured out how much that was when I did the practice welds on the spares. I get most of the thickness of the torso welded when the round part of the tip is almost all the way into the weld.






One way to fill in with carving wax is to put a chip of carving wax in the space to be welded.






Then the wax pen can be inserted on both sides of the chip to melt the base torso, and the filler at the same time, causing them to fuse together, and make a strong weld joint. I want this weld to be strong because I am going to cut the torso again, then at some point it will be test strung with elastic. I will have a chance to weld on the inside of the torso after I cut it again, so I can make the weld even stronger.






Here is the torso with the weld scraped down, using my paring knife.



This is the basic method of working with carving wax: add, subtract, smooth, repeat.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.