Wednesday, November 21, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 14




This is a little envelope drawing of a simple diagram of BJD ball and socket joints. All of these are single joints. The balls are colored red, and the sockets are colored green. There are many other ways to joint a doll. For example, the elbows and knees may be double jointed, and the torso may have three parts. I am currently studying ball joint design, and am trying to make up my mind about which types of joints I want. This is a research phase in the development of the doll. When I am not sure what to do next, I do some research. Click on any image to enlarge it.



I previously posted some diagrams of Ball-Jointed Doll Parts on August 4, 2010.




Starting with the head and neck, there are basically three ways to make the joints. The first design, illustrated below, shows the torso and the neck as one piece, ending with a ball at the top of the neck. This design requires one socket in the head. The green line represents the socket.



This is the design that I am probably going to use for my BJD. I do not feel that my doll needs the range of motion of a contortionist or a gymnast. This is the design I had in mind when I made the wire armature, and modeled the doll figure in oil-clay.




In this second design, the neck is a separate piece, with a socket in the head, and another one at the top of the torso. This design would allow a larger range of motion for the head, but there would be an extra joint and socket at the neckline. Some of Martha Armstrong-Hand's BJDs use this design. The green line represents the socket.






In this third design, the head and the neck are one piece, and the socket is at the top of the torso. This is a popular design with porcelain dolls that have a shoulder plate over a cloth body. The green line represents the socket.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.