Saturday, December 1, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 24




I found an old burned-out incandescent light bulb that has a 66mm diameter, and I decided to try and make a ball mold using it as a pattern. I used some matte board for a build-up, and coated it with shellac. I cut out a 66mm hole with an X-Acto knife. The other piece is another piece of matte board with a 66mm hole cut in it, then cut in half, to use as a gage to get the light bulb situated in the build-up. The light bulb itself is sitting in a plastic cup with the bottom cut out of it. Click on any image to enlarge it.






After coating the matte board with a couple of coats of shellac, I placed coddles around it, and clamped them together. There is a mold mark inside, showing where to fill the mold with plaster. I am going to use plaster for this mold because I want to be able to cast several carving wax balls from it, over a period of time. Plaster has a better library life than hot-melt moulage does.






I used some coils of Roma Plastilina to seal around the bottom of the coddles.






The mold box is ready for the pour.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.