Monday, December 3, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 26




I rolled out some Roma Plastilina into a slab about 12mm thick. I pressed the slab into the cavity of the first half of the the plaster mold. Then I used a kitchen knife to cut off the excess clay. Click on any image to enlarge it.






After cutting off the excess clay with the kitchen knife, I rolled out a coil of clay, cut it in half, and added it as a spare.






This is the another view of the spare. I also cut four registration keys.






Next I applied a parting agent made from a 50/50 soap/water solution to all surfaces.






After I applied three coats of parting agent, I placed the coddles around the plaster and clamped them together.






I mixed the water and plaster in a 2:3 ratio, let it slack, then poured it into the mold cavity. I turned on the mold table vibrator when pouring this half.






I let the plaster set up for an hour and a half, then I removed the coddles.






In this view, you can see the top of the clay spare.






This mold parted very easily, with a gentle pulling apart, using my hands.






I used my paring knife to trim the mold.






This is the mold, banded together. I am going to let it set up overnight before soaking it in water. I will soak it in water in order to cast carving wax  into it. I will cast four carving wax ball halves and weld them together to make the full balls.



I am not going to bevel the edges yet. I may use one half of this mold to make a full sphere mold. It all depends on how much the carving wax shrinks with this mold.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.