Tuesday, December 4, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 27




This is my stash of scrap carving wax shavings and spares. I am going to use the shavings to cast the carving wax balls. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I filled the studio sink with some warm water and submerged the mold in the water to get completely saturated. There are air bubbles rising from the mold.






I put the carving wax shavings in the wax pot, placed it on the hot plate, plugged it in, and turned it on. I have a mark on the rotary dial where the wax will just melt, but not get too hot.






After the molds are completely saturated, I remove them from the water and dab out the excess water with some toilet tissue.






I put the mold together and band it with rubber bands. I place the mold on a piece of plastic, to catch any drips of carving wax. The plastic is easy to clean.






I pour the molten carving wax into a pouring ladle that has a pouring spout. I made this wax pouring ladle from a tin can, a piece of copper pipe, and a file handle.






I pour the mold in an even, steady stream into the pouring hole of the mold until it fills up. I wait for a couple of minutes, and fill it again, when the level of wax goes down, due to the wax cooling in the mold.






When the wax has solidified in the mold, I take the mold to the sink of water and submerge it. I separate the mold under water. There is the first carving wax casting of one half of a ball for the hips.






The carving wax casting removed from the mold.






I remove the mold from the water, and dab out the excess water with some toilet tissue.






I band the mold and place it on the plastic, ready to pour.






I fill the ladle with molten carving wax and pour the carving wax into the mold in an even, steady stream.






When the wax sinks down in the pouring hole, I top it off with more carving wax.






When the carving wax solidifies, I take the mold and place it in the water to open it. There is the second carving wax casting. The first carving wax casting has some plaster residue on it. The first casting is called the junk cast because it picks up debris from the mold. I am going to use the junk cast..






I repeat the same steps as above to pour the third carving wax casting.






Now I have three castings complete.






The fourth and final casting is poured, then topped off. I take the mold to the sink and open it under water to remove the carving wax casting.






There are the four carving wax castings in the water, cooling down.






I always try to make sure that I turn off the hot plate and unplug it from the electrical outlet when I am finished pouring wax. There is a very thin layer of wax left in the wax pot, so I am going to leave it there.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.