Thursday, December 6, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 29




I use a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to flatten the surfaces by rubbing the flat sides of the carving wax halves over the sandpaper. I check the halves by putting them together. If needed, I trim carving wax off with my paring knife. Click on any image to enlarge it.






See what I am doing? It is so simple.






As I work on the balls, I keep testing the halves together in my hands. When they feel good together, I band them together with rubber bands. What is it about rubber bands? Rubber bands are Magic.






I plug in my wax pen. When it gets hot, I use my wax pen to weld the two halves of the carving wax castings together. I start by pushing the tip of the wax pen into the seam until the round tip is completely inside the seam. I do this on each side of the rubber band at first.






After tack welding the ball, I remove the rubber bands and weld the spaces. Then I add filler carving wax with the wax pen and a scrap piece of carving wax. The object here is to melt the filler and the ball together. What I do is hold the scrap piece of carving wax next to the seam and melt it into the seam by passing the tip of the wax pen over the scrap piece of wax, and at the same time, dipping the wax pen into the seam. In this way, I melt the base, and add filler at the same time. Practice, practice, and more practice. The object here is to get as much penetration as possible, and leave some carving wax to trim off. This is a photo of the two hemispheres of cast carving wax welded together, with some excess carving wax above the seam..






Next, I scrape off the excess carving wax with my paring knife. First, I remove the majority of the excess seam by scraping along the seam. Then I follow the seam by scraping Xs over the seam. The idea here is to follow the curve of the sphere as closely as possible. I work all around the welded seam, until it is completely smooth, and ther is no standing filler carving wax left.






Finally, I use 220 grit sandpaper over the seam. Yeah, it looks like a sphere now.






It started out as a burned-out light bulb. This is a photo of the 57mm diameter cue ball and the carving wax cue-ball-casting; and the 66mm diameter light bulb and the carving wax casting, just completed.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.