Friday, December 7, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 30




This is the second ball for the hip joints. I banded the two halves together in order to tack weld it with my wax pen. Click on any image to enlarge it.






This is my wax pen. It is a woodburning tool with a custom forged tip.






This is the ball, tacked together. Now I can remove the rubber bands in order to weld it with my wax pen.






When I weld it, I insert the tip of my wax pen down into the seam, so the two halves melt together.






I made a ring from a coil of clay to hold the ball while I fill in the weld.






The ball does not move when it is on the ring of clay. I can use one hand to hold the wax pen, and the other hand to hold the piece of scrap carving wax, which I use to fill in the weld.






The next step is to carve the filling down. I use my paring knife for this job.






First I carve the filling straight around, leaving a little bit above the surface.






Then I work back and forth across the seam with my knife, shaving the remaining carving wax down to the surface, following the form as closely as possible. Next, I will sand the seam with some 220 grit sandpaper.






This is the seam after sanding.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.