Friday, December 14, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 37




This is my first BJD, so I do not have a library of ball molds for casting carving wax. I must start to make my library now. Plaster is a good, inexpensive material to make a carving wax ball mold library with. The BEST material to make a ball mold library for carving wax balls would be silicone rubber molds. I am not that flush right now, so I am going to make my ball mold library with plaster molds. The plaster must be saturated with water in order to cast carving wax into it. Martha Armstrong-Hand made her ball mold libray from wooden ball patterns. Click on the image to enlarge it.



When I first began my joint designing adventure I collected different sizes of wooden balls and tried them out in different sized sockets to determine shoulder and hip joints. Now I make drawings of the whole construction and find balls that fit the size of my drawings. For further assistance I have made a number of ball molds, so now I can cast balls in wax, ready to weld to arm or leg pieces. Learning to be a Doll Artist (1999)





Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.