Wednesday, December 19, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 42




I want to roll out some clay that is a certain thickness. In this case, I am going to use some strips of cereal box cardboard, stacked together, to make the thickness that I need. First of all I divide some cereal box cardboard with an ink pen and a ruler. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I cut the strips of cardboard with scissors, then use my calipers to check how many I need to make the thickness I want. Once I figure that out, I tape the ends of the stacks of cardboard together so they won't move around too much.






I use the cardboard strips to roll out clay to an exact thickness, using a rolling pin.






As I roll out the clay, I keep flipping it over so it will not stick to the plywood board I am using as a rolling surface.






Once the clay is a uniform thickness, I cut strips of clay and place them over a 66mm carving wax ball. I use my paring knife to cut the clay into strips. My old kitchen paring knife is my favorite tool.






Here is the ball, half covered with clay.






One half of the ball left to cover with clay.






The ball, completely covered with clay.



Just as I did with the light bulb, and the ping pong ball, the next thing I will do is make a matt board build-up with a circle cut out of the middle that has the same diameter as this clay ball.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.