Tuesday, December 25, 2012

08 Joint Design Nº 48




Joyeux Noël. These are the two 76mm carving wax balls I cast, with their spares attached. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I used my paring knife to cut off the spares.






I use some bits and pieces of carving wax from my carving wax scraps tray to fill in the holes.






I use my wax pen to fuse the carving wax pieces together.






It is important to melt the carving wax pieces deep enough so that they are completely fused with the surrounding carving wax ball.



1. A section view of the carving wax ball with the spare removed, leaving a hole.

2. Pieces of carving wax pressed into the hole.

3. Pieces of carving wax melted together.

4. If the pieces of carving wax in the hole are not melted together deep enough, then when the carving wax over the hole is trimmed away, the pieces of carving wax will fall out of the hole.

5. The wax pen must go all the way into the thickness of the ball, and completely melt all the pieces in the hole, fusing them with the ball.

6. Finally, the excess carving wax is trimmed away with the paring knife.




The pieces of carving wax have been melted together with the wax pen.






This shows how I am melting the carving wax deeply, thus fusing the carving wax pieces and ball together to make a solid filling.






I work all around the hole and in the center as well. This is good practice using the wax pen, learning how long it takes the carving wax to melt, cool, and so forth.






I use the paring knife to trim the excess filling wax off of the hole.



These balls still need some more work done to them, trimming seams, and sanding them smooth.

The actual work is practice, practice and more practice: adding, subtracting, and smoothing repeatedly. Martha Armstrong-Hand




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.