Saturday, January 5, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 59




While out shopping today, I stopped into Michaels and found this little 5pc set of carving tools for $7.99 USD plus tax. Not only did I save shipping and handling fees, but I also have the tools in my hand, right now, no waiting. Click on an image to enlarge it.






Each carving tool has a name and a basic purpose for wood carving. I will be using this little set to work on carving wax.



1. 5mm Parting tool. Shaped like a "V". Used for outlining, roughing-out (undercutting), and finishing inside corners.
2. 5mm Gouge tool. Shaped like a shallow "U". Used for such purposes as roughing-out or hollowing-out.

3. 7mm Gouge tool. Shaped like a shallow "U". Used for such purposes as roughing-out or hollowing-out.
4. Chisel tool. Straight edge. Used for flat-cutting and finishing, as well as for sharp edges.
5. Skew tool. Angled edge. Used for getting into corners.

Each tool has about an inch of metal sticking out from the ferrule, and from the end of the handle to the tip of the ferrule is about 4.25 inches, making each tool about 5.25 inches long.





These three tools are the ones that I am most interested in using for making joints.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.