Sunday, January 27, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 81




A design is a consciously shaped form or forms, often deliberately changed or simplified from nature - a statement you want to make to emphasize action or mood but achieved by way of analytical thinking. We certainly need it when we create the neck joint or ending of the neck, the fittings where the arms or hands join the body, and all of the other parts where craft and art should be a unit. ...the choices are endless.
p.58 Learning To Be A Doll Artist. Martha Armstrong-Hand. 1999.

My doll figure was first modeled in oil-clay, then molded and cast in carving wax for the purpose of designing the ball and socket joints. As can be seen in the following photos, I did not model the left and right legs of the doll exactly the same. In these photos, I am using a 66mm matte board cut out to try and see where I need to make adjustments. The matte board circle helps me to see the differences better. Here is the circle on the right leg, and the left leg without the circle. Click on any image to enlarge it.






Here, the circle is on the left leg, and the right leg is without the circle.






I only have one 66mm circle, but with the help of a computer graphics program, I can see what both legs look like, side by side, with circles on them.






In the same manner, I can see both legs without the circle.



These are the things I am doing to try and figure out what I need to do next, to put the hip balls on the legs. I am not quite sure if I need to trim the legs down a little bit more, or what? I have a lot of questions that need to be answered. The only way to answer them is to work on my doll.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.