Wednesday, January 30, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 84




I have a vague idea of what I want to do with the hip joints, so these are some of my notes to myself about what I am thinking about. It probably does not make much sense at this time, but this is why I am journaling the making of this ball-jointed doll. I am hoping it will make sense at some point in the process.

I welded the pieces that I cut from the top of the legs to the torso, then used a sharp dental tool to scribe a line around those pieces, for the purpose of leveling the bottoms of the pieces, so the torso would stand solidly on a flat surface. I used my paring knife to cut the excess carving wax. As I got down close to the line, I started to rub the pieces I was carving on some rough sandpaper in order to see the high spots. Click on any image to enlarge it.






The high spots are easy to see after rubbing on the rough sandpaper.






Once I have the pieces carved down to the line, I can check the torso with a combination square to see if it is leaning to far one to the left or right.






I can do the same thing with the side view, checking it against my working drawing.






The same thing for the back view.






This is a back view of the torso sitting on top of the legs.






This is the front view of the torso sitting on top of the legs. The trick for me is going to be how am I going to fit the hip balls in there, and maintain the correct height of the doll. I am trying to figure this out. At this point, it will require some trial and error experimentation.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.