Thursday, February 21, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 106




Today I melted some carving wax in my wax pot, poured it into the torso, and swirled it around the inside of the torso socket in order to add some more wax to that area. I could see some light through some thin places, so I knew I had to do it before I did any more work on the socket. In the diagram below, the gray area is the piece I added for the socket, and the brown area is where I want to add carving wax. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I started off by melting some carving wax in the wax pot. I am reusing carving wax shavings, trimmings, and other pieces, such as spares from casting the carving wax doll parts. Carving wax is reusable.






I got an old sock from the studio rag bag, and soaked it in cold water. Wax and water do not mix. I stuffed one arm hole with wet sock, and wrapped the rest of the wet sock around the bottom of the torso. After all, I saw light through some places, so I know that there are places that are thin enough that molten wax may go through them. The wet sock will catch any carving wax that melts through a thin place.






I used an old plastic cocktail glass as a funnel. Have I mentioned that I am a pack rat, and I don't throw anything away? Yeah. I melted the carving wax in the wax pot, then poured it from the wax pot into my little pouring ladle that I made from an old tin can, many, many years ago. I was busy pouring molten wax, so this is an after photo.






Molten wax did splash on the wet sock that I stuffed into the opposite arm hole. The texture of the sock is on the wax. Because the sock was wet, the wax did not stick to it. I was able to peel the wax off the wet sock. The good news is that molten wax did not melt through any of the thin areas inside the torso socket. The torso is currently cooling down.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.