Saturday, February 9, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 94




I am using my wax pen to finish welding the spares together. I am pretty sure I will be using this form to add to the top of the bottom torso, to make the ball joint. Click on any image to enlarge it.






When I weld carving wax, I try to make sure that I do not just dribble melted wax onto cold wax. That makes a cold shut. I always melt the base carving wax as well as the filler carving wax, so they fuse together solidly. Sometimes I hold a piece of carving wax above the hole I want to fill, and drip carving wax into the hole to fill it. Then I make sure to push the tip of my wax pen into the hole so that the base carving wax is also melted. Other times I place a piece of carving wax where I want to fill, then push the tip of my wax pen through the filler piece, and into the base, so the filler wax fuses with the base carving wax. This is a faster method than the drip method. The important thing is that the base carving wax and the filler carving wax are melted at the same time, so the weld is solid, and there are no cold shuts.






After I fill the areas that need filling, I use my paring knife to scrape off the excess filler.






I also added some filler wax to the inside of the form. I do not need this to be absolutely smooth because when I make plaster molds, the outside of the patterns are all I need to worry about. I did this to make sure that the form was more or less the same thickness throughout.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.