Saturday, March 2, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 115






I am working on another socket ring, made from a piece of matte board. I am using a compass to draw the circles. One circle is the inside diameter, and the other circle is the outside diameter. I put the center point of the compass on the crossed lines. I use a ruler to measure. The measurement is 35mm from the center, or a 70mm diameter. The ball is 75mm in diameter, and 70mm is one-third. I found this out by dividing a 75mm circle in thirds, then measuring across one of the one-third lines. I hope that makes sense?. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I use an X-Acto knife with a very sharp blade to cut out the inner circle first. I first cut lightly on the line, being very careful to stay exactly on the line. I cut about one-quarter of the circle at a time. Once I have cut the line lightly, I go back and cut in the same line until I have cut through. It takes several passes with the knife to cut all the way through.






Once the inside circle is cut, I can cut the outside circle. This way, the matte board supports the ring, which is about 4mm wide.






I use a cereal box underneath the matte board, so I do not cut into my table. I cut the outside of the ring in the same way I cut the inside of the ring, that is, lightly at first, then deeper and deeper until it is cut through.






The ring should allow one-third of the 75mm ball to fit inside of it.






This is the 75mm diameter hip ball and the matte board hip socket ring.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.