Saturday, March 30, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 143






I made a mistake. I try my best to not make any mistakes, because my doll-making time is so valuable. However, I must admit that every once in a while, a mistake creeps in; and even though it is hard for me to swallow, I must eat it. In this case, I made the hip socket hole for the right leg too big. The hip ball is 75mm in diameter, and I got so busy moving the socket hole, that I did not realize I was using a 75mm matte board circle as a socket hole template instead of a 70mm circle. It took me awhile to realize that the socket hole I was carving was too big because I just wasn't thinking while I was working. I just kept adding carving wax with my wax pen, subtracting carving wax with my paring knife, and checking my progress with the wrong size circle. In the photo below, the right hip socket has had the 70mm matte board ring removed, and as can be seen, was moved and made 75mm in diameter. It should be 70mm in diameter, like the left leg socket, which still has the matte board ring attached. Click on the image to enlarge it.



There are several things I can do to fix this. One of the easiest things would be for me to cast a slab of carving wax in a water-saturated plaster bat, then cut out a 75mm circle from the slab of carving wax and weld it into the leg socket. Then I could position the new 70mm socket hole and cut it out. I could also put a water-saturated block of plaster over the socket hole, then pour molten carving wax in the torso, and tilt the torso so that the molten carving wax would fill the hole. I could also weld some scrap pieces of carving wax around the inside of the socket hole, making it smaller, but that might take more time than the other two methods? Whatever. This is a minor setback. The wonderful thing about making my own doll is: if I break it, I can usually fix it. It just takes time.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.