Sunday, March 31, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 144




I mentioned several ways I could fix my mistake, and the way I chose was to put a piece of water-saturated plaster over the too large hip socket hole, then melt and pour carving wax into the torso, tilting the torso so the molten carving wax would fill the socket hole. Carving wax can be melted and poured into a mold. The mold, in this case, is the carving wax torso. The principle I am using is: Water and Wax do not mix. In this photo, I am soaking a piece of plaster in water. The plaster absorbs water, releasing air bubbles as it sucks up the water. When no more air bubbles are released, the plaster is completely saturated. Click on any image to enlarge it.






While the plaster is sucking up water, I melt some carving wax for the pour. I am using some of the carving wax that I have been trimming from the torso. These small pieces of carving wax melt quickly. It is important to remember to turn off the wax pot and disconnect it from the electrical outlet when I am finished.






I used a large rubber band to fasten the piece of water-saturated plaster over the hip socket hole.






When the carving wax melted, I poured it from the wax pot into the torso, then tilted the torso over so that the molten wax went into the socket hole. Some carving wax leaked out, but not much. The cool, water-saturated piece of plaster caused it to solidify. I let the carving wax cool down and set up. Easy.






This is what my hip socket patch looks like. Now I am ready to try again.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.