Monday, April 1, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 145




I drilled a small hole in the middle of the patch and measured how thick it was. I used a small 6 inch wood working caliper. It measured 15/32 inch thick. I experimented with using my wax pen to cut out the circle. Before I cut, I positioned the 70mm matte board template circle where I wanted the socket to be, then I scribed a line around it. I made the cut about 5mm inside the line, so if I slipped with the wax pen, I wouldn't mess up the new socket. I will be able to trim the socket hole up to the line after I get the center of the patch out. Click on any image to enlarge it.






It was fairly easy to cut the center of the patch out with the wax pen. When it was cut almost all the way through, the carving wax was warm, and I used my paring knife to finish the cut.






I used my paring knife to trim the socket hole to the 70mm diameter line. I lost a day of work due to my mistake, but in the end, I learned some new things, so the mistake did not cost me as much as I thought.



One of the things I really like about carving wax is that I can easily trim it with my paring knife. Yet, the carving wax does not crumble like baked polymer clay does. Also, I am not able to trim 2-part epoxy compounds with my paring knife because they are just too hard. Cast resin is very similar to the epoxy. Yet, my carving wax is tough enough to withstand tensioning with elastic. I can carve it, weld it, drill it, cut it, and cast it. The overall casting shrinkage is almost 3%. Finally, it is reusable. Carving wax is one of the most amazing design materials that I have ever used.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.