Thursday, April 18, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 162




I am filling under the ball on the lower leg. I taped a ping pong ball into the lower leg to close the hole. I drilled a pouring hole in the side of the leg, about one half of an inch below the ping pong ball. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I melted carving wax in my wax pot, then transferred it to a pouring ladle. I poured the molten carving wax into the pouring hole. Then I tilted the leg so the molten carving wax covered the ping pong ball. I held the leg so that the excess carving wax came out of the hole and went back into the ladle.






After the carving wax solidified and cooled, I drilled a hole in the bottom. This is the lower leg, so the carving wax ball will fit in here.






The carving wax ball fits perfectly.






I filled the pouring hole with scraps of carving wax.






I used my wax pen to melt the scraps and fill the hole.






When the carving wax cooled, I used my paring knife to scrape the excess carving wax away.






Hopefully, this will allow me to carve the 45 degree angle that permits the knee joint to bend 90 degrees.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.