Monday, April 29, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 173






I positioned the 40mm diameter ping pong ball in the knee socket hole of the upper leg and fastened it in place with some masking tape. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to drill a hole in the upper leg, leaving some space for carving wax to form a socket about 1/2 inch thick.






I turn on my wax pot and adjust the temperature so the carving wax melts, but does not get too hot. I put some scraps of carving wax into the wax pot to melt. This is a good opportunity to melt down some trimmings.






I pour the molten carving wax from the wax pot into my little pouring ladle. The pouring ladle has a spout that helps me pour the wax into the 1/2 inch hole.






I filled the sink with cold water, and held the leg over the water when I poured the carving wax from the ladle into the hole. Then I tilted the leg up so the molten carving wax would cover the ping pong ball. How much did I pour? I would pour some wax, then tilt the leg up, until excess carving wax poured out of the hole. Then I held the leg for awhile, so the carving wax could solidify a wee bit. Finally, I submerged the leg into the cold water and  let the leg fill up with cold water. The cold water helps the carving wax cool down and solidify. Finally, I just left the leg in the cold water for awhile.



I always try to remember to turn off my wax pot when I am finished pouring carving wax. Even though I do not have the wax pot turned up very high, I do not like to walk into the studio several hours later, and find the wax pot still turned on. I try to turn it off and unplug it from the outlet.




This is the new knee socket for the upper leg. I removed the ping pong with some locking pliers. The ping pong ball did not survive the operation.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.