Thursday, May 2, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 176




I could have sworn I had cast more 40mm diameter carving wax balls. I looked and looked everywhere in my studio. I could not find another one. Thankfully, I have a 40mm plaster ball mold. Click on any image to enlarge it.






The basic principle is: wax and water do not mix. I opened the mold and put it in the sink, and filled the sink with water to let them soak and become saturated with water. I know when they are saturated with water when air bubbles no longer rise from the surface of the mold halves.






I plugged the hole in the lower leg with a ping pong ball and taped it in place. Then I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the leg, leaving enough space so that I can pour carving wax into the hole, and have about 1/2 inch of carving wax behind the ping pong ball. I am doing this so that when I cut the 45 degree angle in the back of the leg, I will have carving wax there.






While I was preparing the leg, and while the mold was soaking, I was melting carving wax in my wax pot. The important thing for me to remember is to turn the wax pot off, and unplug it when I am done.






First of all, I poured carving wax in the leg. I submerged the leg in the cold water in the sink so the poured carving wax would cool and solidify more quickly. Then I poured as many 40mm balls as I could before the wax got too cool to pour. I just barely got three carving wax balls from my little pouring ladle.






Here are the three cast carving wax 40mm balls, and the lower leg.






I pulled the ping pong ball out with a pair of locking pliers. I also trimmed the spares on the balls while the wax was warm, and easy to cut.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.