Thursday, June 20, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 222




Remember to always have a bucket with water in it close by when making plaster molds. Never put plaster (dry, wet, or set) down the drain. Click on any image to enlarge it.






It is important to remember to apply a parting agent (50/50 soap/watersolution) to all exposed plaster parts before pouring the second half of the plaster mold. Plaster sticks to plaster, so I must not forget to do this step. I use a soft brush to apply the parting agent.






I put the coddles around the first half of the mold, and put some clay inside to seal it.






I mix and pour the plaster, using a number 67 consistency, which is two parts water to three parts of dry fresh plaster, by weight. I let the plaster slack for a few minutes. Then I carefully stir the mixture by hand, squeezing out all the lumps with my fingers. When it is smooth, I turn on my mold table vibrator and pour the plaster into the coddles in a steady stream until it is full.



It is important to leave the plaster alone for at least an hour to let it set up completely.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.