Monday, August 12, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 275






While I am trying to decide what to do about the overall length of the left arm, I am working on the upper carving wax arm where the shoulder ball is welded to the arm. In the top photo below, is a before shot of what the arm looked like before I started working on it. The middle photo shows the arm after I added carving wax to the joint with my wax pen. As usual, I melt the base carving wax with the tip of the wax pen before dripping additional carving wax into the molten puddle. It takes practice, but I have learned how to judge when the carving wax solidifies. It is shiny when it is molten, and is not shiny when it solidifies. I have my wax pen set to melt the wax without getting it too hot. For me, if it smokes when I am working with it, it is too hot. If it is too hot, I turn the dial down a wee bit. My wax pen works great. The bottom photo shows the upper arm after I have subtracted excess carving wax with my paring knife. There is still work to do on it, but now there is less work to do than when I started. Click on any image to enlarge it.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.