Tuesday, September 3, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 297






I am using one of my old snapshots to figure out some joint design problems that I am having with the arms. Making sculpture is all about problem-solving. Amongst the many reference photos in my figure library, I have noticed that the model's arms are varying lengths. What I usually look at is where the hand is in relation to the crotch. The difference is quite a bit, actually. Sometimes the crotch is on the level of the knuckles of the hand, and it can also be at the level of the wrist, and everywhere in between. I'm sure it may have something to do with the model's posture. The thing is, my doll will not have slouching shoulders. Her shoulders will be fixed in a good posture.

Anyway, the reason I am bringing this up is because, as I have mentioned before, the carving wax arms are much longer than they should be. So I am going to have to shorten them. My question is, by how much? So after looking at my reference photos again, and studying this old snapshot, I have figured out that I need to shorten the arms as much as 4cm. This is a nice, round number. I may be able to take 2cm out of the upper arm, and 2cm out of the lower arm. I will do this on one arm first, and see how it looks. If it looks good, then I'll do the same on the other arm. If it doesn't look good, I will still have the other arm to try something else with. Click on the image to enlarge it.



So the bright red line at the crotch of the working drawing, is at the same level as the bright green line at the crotch of the carving wax doll. The cyan lines indicate that low and high points that the hand can be, in relation to the crotch. This is not rocket science, thank Goddess. It is the human figure, and there is a little leeway here and there to play with.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.