Saturday, November 9, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 364




When I picked up the right carving wax leg today, it slipped out from my fingers and fell back into the project tray and chipped. I could not find the chip, so I made a repair to fix it. Click on the image to enlarge it.



Image Nº 1 shows the chipped area. Image Nº 2 shows how I carved out the chip with my paring knife, and also carved a piece of scrap carving to fit in the carved out area. Image Nº 3 is a top view of the scrap piece of carving wax in the area to be repaired. Image Nº 4 is another view of the scrap carving wax in the repair area.

I used my wax pen to weld the scrap piece of carving wax to the leg. I forgot to take snapshots of the weld, but it looked like other carving wax welds that I have made in previous posts. Needless to say, I melted the base carving wax of the leg and the scrap carving wax together completely. The reason that the scrap piece of carving wax was larger than the repair area is so I would have excess carving wax to fill in any gaps between the repair area and the piece of scrap filler. My wax pen is set to a temperature that melts the carving wax without it getting too hot and smoking.

Image Nº 5 and Image Nº 6 show the finished repair from different angles. I used my paring knife to trim the excess carving wax from the repaired area. Carving wax is a homogeneous material that carves excellently. The repaired area looks better than it did before the accident.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.