Monday, November 18, 2013
08 Joint Design Nº 373
Awhile back I modeled some practice pieces in Roma oil-clay. This is a comparison of that Roma oil-clay practice foot, and the carving wax foot I worked on yesterday. I remember being quite happy with that practice foot, back when I did it. I was so happy that I kept it, and still have it. But when I look at it now, I laugh. That is how it is with making sculpture. The more I do, the better I get. It is practice, practice, and more practice in order to improve.
This is a snapshot of the oil-clay feet from 14 August 2012. I kept them in a rough, blocked shape so they would be easier to mold. This is how I saw Martha Armstrong-Hand doing it, from photos in her book. The hands she modeled in oil-clay, looked like mittens when she took her figure off the armature support. The feet looked like they had shoes on them. I followed her example, and tried to leave enough material in order to be able to carve later on.
This is a snapshot of the carving wax hands and feet from 14 November 2012. I have removed the casting sprues, also known as spares. I took the hands a little bit further than Martha did in her book. They still need a lot of work. But look at those feet. Even though I have only roughed out the carving wax feet that I have now, they are still way better than those fresh carving wax castings. I still have a lot of work to do on them, and I am spending some time studying the feet references I have.
I am at the point where I feel I need to start thinking about finishing this doll. I will have to make some compromises between staying faithful to the original oil-clay figure and my working drawing, and simplifying forms so they will be easier to use as patterns to make the plaster molds for slip casting. There is always a little trade-off.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.