Thursday, December 5, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 390




Today I cut the sanding paper into smaller pieces. Along the 11 inch length, I cut it at 2-4-6-8 and 9.5 inches. Along the 9 inch width, I cut it at 3 and 6 inches. I ended up with stacks of 2x3 inch pieces of each grit, as well as stacks of 1-1/2x3 inch pieces of each grit. I used a Utility Knife and a Steel Ruler to do the cutting. I used the sandpaper package as a cutting mat. I marked and cut through the paper backs of the sheets of sandpaper. I dulled one end of one knife blade cutting through all the sandpaper. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I organized all the little pieces of sandpaper by putting them in a box.






I started sanding the right lower carving wax leg with a piece of 60-grit sandpaper. Sanding carving wax does not produce dust. I detest sanding dust. Instead, the wax/talc composition of the carving wax clogs up the sandpaper.



Sanding with a coarse grit shows where the low spots are. I can fill the low spots in with a piece of scrap carving wax and my handy-dandy, cheap-as-mud, DIY Wax Pen. My studio-made wax pen works great, and it fits my doll-making budget much better than a professional waxer. A replacement 600W Dimmer Switch costs about $5, and I saw a 30W Soldering Iron at Harbor Freight (where I found my Carving Set and Sandpaper Pack) for less than $10.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.