Wednesday, December 11, 2013

08 Joint Design Nº 396




Before and after snapshots of today's 60-grit sanding of the lower carving wax torso. I really like the way the carving wax looks before it is ever sanded. It has a sort of bronze-like look to it. But when it is sanded, it gets lighter, and that really helps me to see where I need to fill in the low spots. In traditional sculpture, it is a constant struggle to keep the sculpture alive between all the moldings and castings. The slack areas are not alive, and need to be filled. I really like this size of doll because it is so easy to see where the slack areas are after sanding. Coarse sanding is pretty much the same as when I used the rake tool when I was modeling the figure in oil-clay. This is the secret of Martha's Method as far as I can see. If you know what it is like to work in carving wax, then that will determine how far you take the figure in oil-clay. You will have a very good idea when it is time to mold the oil-clay figure and cast it in carving wax if you have this experience. Of course, the only way to get this experience is to do it. When in doubt, have a glass of Red, and relax. Click on any image to enlarge it.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.