Sunday, January 19, 2014

08 Joint Design Nº 435




I have done a tiny bit of work around the eyes with the jeweler's alcohol lamp and the stainless steel carving tools. They still need some work, of course. For the most part I have been sanding with 60-grit sandpaper. To get into smaller places, I cut a 2x3 inch square of sandpaper into smaller pieces so I would have more corners to work with. I can get into smaller places with the corners. Also, I am working in circles with the sandpaper. Besides working the sandpaper in small circles, I am sanding very lightly. This seems to be working for me. I feel like I am making some progress on this carving wax head. Click on any image to enlarge it.



I used my wooden calipers to check the ears, and carved some carving wax off one ear, to match the other ear. I made a small hole under the lower lip, as close to the middle as I could. Then I placed one point of the calipers in that hole and put the other point in one of the holes already in the ears. Keeping the point in the hole under the lower lip, I moved the other point to the hole in the other ear. They were exactly the same. Yay ! Using calipers to check things is a method used by traditional sculptors. If I didn't have my wooden calipers, I would probably use a dressmaker's flexible tape measure to check things. I like the wooden calipers because of the points on the end of their curved legs. My wooden calipers are in the lower right hand corner of this modeling-tools snapshot:






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.