Monday, January 27, 2014

08 Joint Design Nº 443




This is the left lower carving wax leg. Previously, I sanded it with 60-grit sandpaper. The 60-grit sandpaper helps me to see where the low spots are. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I use my wax pen to add carving wax to the low spots. This takes time to do properly. Properly done, the carving wax is not just dripped onto the surface. I always melt into the base carving wax with the tip of my wax pen, then add filler to it. Sometimes it takes awhile for the molten wax to solidify. I must wait for it to solidify before I can turn the leg. I am able to fill other low spots while I am waiting for a molten spot to solidify, if the other low spots are in the same plane as the spot that is solidifying.






After filling, I scrape the excess filler off with my paring knife. This is something that also takes time to do properly. If I am trying to fill a low spot, I do not want to carve too much of the excess away, and make a new low spot. Sometimes I get in a hurry. I must remind myself to slow down and do it right the first time.






After scraping the excess filler off, I sand the left lower carving wax leg with 100-grit sandpaper. The 100-grit sandpaper is supposed to take out the sanding marks from the 60-grit sandpaper. I still have 150-grit, and 220-grit sanding to do. I will see how it goes. As much as I dislike sanding, 220-grit may be as smooth as I want to sand this carving wax doll. Of course, when I finish sanding all the parts, they will be used as patterns to make the final plaster molds for slip casting.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. I spent a good part of yesterday reading through the process you used for making this doll - thank you so much for documenting it so minutely. I make scale doll house dolls and I find your devotion to keeping in scale very helpful to me. You will have a doll that is feminine and womanly and beautiful - your anatomy studies have really paid off. Thank you so much for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.. I am inspired by Martha Armstrong-Hand (4 July 1920 - 22 Ocotober 2004), author of Learning To Be A Doll Artist (1999). I try to do a little bit of work on my doll every day.

      Delete

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.