Wednesday, February 12, 2014

08 Joint Design Nº 459




I made a new tip for my wax pen. This wax pen is made from an inexpensive woodburning tool that has threads to hold the tip. These threads are something like 8-32, so I used a machine screw that has the same thread pitch. I cut off the slotted head, then ground it to a point. I heated the point with my jeweler's torch until it was cherry red. Then I flattened it with a silversmith's hammer on the anvil part of a bracelet mandrel. Once flattened, I further shaped it with the grinder, a file, and some sandpaper. This tip is about one-half the diameter of the other tip, which was also made from a machine screw. I will be able to use this new tip to add carving wax to smaller details, such as toenails. The way I add carving wax is to melt into the base carving wax with the wax pen, then melt some carving wax filler into that puddle, so the base and filler become one. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I started doing some work on the toenails of the right carving wax foot. There is still more work to be done. I try to do a little bit of work on my doll every day.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.