Sunday, February 16, 2014

08 Joint Design Nº 463




I enjoyed having my carving wax BJD test-strung with 3mm round elastic doll cord. As she gets closer to completion, I find myself getting anxious to get her done. However, I must tell myself to do the work properly. After all, I have already put quite a bit of time into her. There is no sense rushing things now.

I started working on the right lower carving wax leg today. There is so much work to do on it. Thank goodness I have my DIY Wax Pen. Even though it was made in the studio, and was very inexpensive and easy to make, it works great because I only heat it up to the melting point of the carving wax, which is about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. That is about 50 degrees less than the boiling point of water. I can control the temperature of the wax pen so that it melts the carving wax without causing it to smoke. The wax pen is a 25 Watt woodburning tool with a custom-made tip. I also have an inexpensive 25 Watt soldering iron that can be used as the pen.



If you are a hobbyist ball jointed doll maker who wants to work with carving wax, I can highly recommend the DIY Wax Pen. I have no idea how it works if used full-time, but I can say that it works great, part-time (less than 0ne Hour per day).

These are before and after snapshots of the right lower carving wax leg, showing the work I did today, filling in low spots with my wax pen. Click on any image to enlarge it.



Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.