Monday, March 10, 2014

08 Joint Design Nº 485




Today I sanded the left carving wax foot with 220-grit sandpaper. Click on any image to enlarge it.



The two carving wax feet are not perfect mirror images of each other. Even though I am a perfectionist, I have realized that if I do not continue to move forward with the doll making process, I may be stuck here for years. I am no longer interested in perfection, for the sake of perfection. This is a difficult thing for me to admit. For one thing, I am a Virgo, and those born under a Virgo Sun Sign are perfectionists.




I read Way of the Doll by Cassandra Light last night, and slept on what I read. This morning I decided to start making the plaster production molds for the carving wax feet. I have not approached making this doll as a personal transformation process. My main approach to doll making has been through materials and methods. I think the main reason for this is the way I was taught to make Art in Art School. My Art School education was mainly focused on materials and methods. Now I know that there are many ways that Art can be taught, not just the way that I was taught. I still remain mainly a materials and methods artist. Process is still my primary art form.



Way of the Doll: the art and craft of personal transformation.
Cassandra Light.
San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books, 1996.
ISBN: 0811806987

Soon I will be starting 09 Plaster Production Molds. I will also be continuing with 08 Joint Design as I finish up the other carving wax doll parts. Originally, I thought I would be finishing each part of the process before I started the next part of the process. But now, I feel like I need to start making the plaster production molds. As a result, this journal will get somewhat mixed up. For all of those people who, like me, prefer things to be organized and in order, I apologize. It is just that at this time, I really feel like I need to move ahead. Maybe breaking my routine will help me to get past this block that is keeping me from finishing my doll?

I am figuring it out as I go along. I try to do a little bit of work on my doll every day. So far, this strategy has worked for me. I have taken the idea of wanting to make a BJD through planning, drawing, making an armature, modeling in oil-clay, waste molding the oil-clay figure, casting carving wax doll parts, designing ball and socket joints, and refining the carving wax doll parts to use as patterns for making the production molds. I have even failed a couple of times. Next I will be starting to make the plaster production molds. I am determined that this third version of my first BJD will be completed.

Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.