Wednesday, March 19, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 2




I'm back. I still have to rest a week more before I can lift anything over 10 pounds. However, I finally feel well enough to continue working on this doll-making blog. I will be going slowly, and I will try to cover every tiny little detail.

As I have mentioned, making rigid plaster production molds can be a daunting task if you are not well prepared ahead of time. It is very important to always remember: Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) into drain pipes. It is much less costly to get a 5-gallon bucket, half-filled with water, to rinse plaster off your hands, mixing bowls, and tools; than it is to hire a plumber to unclog the drainage pipes. I always try to mix up a little bit more plaster than will be needed. I put the excess plaster that is not used, in a lined trash can that has crumpled newspaper in the bottom. Having these two pieces of equipment can make mold making go much smoother.


Click on the image to enlarge it.

When you rinse the plaster off your hands, mixing bowls, and tools, in the 5-gallon bucket half-filled with water, the water turns white with the rinsed plaster. Eventually, it settles to the bottom, and hardens, leaving clear water on top. Over the period of time it takes to make several molds, the plaster residue will build up in the bottom of the bucket. The way I dispose of this plaster is, I carefully pour the clear water out of the bucket, usually in the back yard. Then I put the remaining plaster goo in the lined trash can. Before the lined trash can gets too heavy to lift, I tie up the plastic trash bag, and take it and put it in the refuse bin, for pickup by the city. This plaster residue could also be buried in the yard. Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) into drain pipes.

This advice should take care of at least two items that can cause anxiety when making plaster molds:
  1. Where do I rinse plaster off my hands, mixing bowls, and tools?
    • In a 5-gallon bucket half-filled with water.
  2. Where do I dispose of excess plaster and plaster residue?
    • In a lined trash can with crumpled newspaper in the bottom.


Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.