Thursday, March 20, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 3




I am continuing to prepare for making plaster production molds. Plaster molds for slip casting should have the same consistency. Consistency is always a number that is the ratio of water to 100 parts of plaster, by weight. In order to get the same consistency, the water and the plaster should be weighed on a scale. I use a Baby Scale that can weight up to 25 pounds. I usually use 1/4 pound, or 1/2 pound as a unit of weight. A consistency of 67 is recommended in Chaney & Skee. That is the same as 2 parts of water to 3 parts of plaster. Most of my measurements for plaster mold making are in 1/4 and 1/2 pound units.


Click on any image to enlarge it.

I use a set of plastic mixing bowls for mixing the plaster and water. These are inexpensive, can be purchased anywhere. They are also light weight and somewhat flexible. So even if the plaster mix hardens in the mixing bowl, I can get it out and put it in the trash can. Professional plaster molders use rubber mixing bowls. They last longer, overall, but are initially more expensive, and a little bit heavier than the type of plastic mixing bowls I use.

Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.