Sunday, March 23, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 6




One of my very best plaster molding tools is a molding table vibrator. I made mine from a used AC Electric Motor that I found at a flea market for a few dollars many years ago. I used machine bolts and nuts to attach it to my plaster molding table. I plug it in to turn it on, and I unplug it to turn it off. One day I may even make an on/off switch for it? Click on any image to enlarge it.






It is not a very big motor. The black body of the motor is about 5 inches long, and it is about 4 inches in diameter. What makes it vibrate is an eccentric disk made of steel, attached to the shaft. The disk was made from a piece of 1.75 inch diameter scrap bar stock, found at a salvage store. It is about 1/2 inch thick. A friend with a drill press made the hole. The hole was drilled off-center. This is what makes the table vibrate when I am pouring plaster.






This is a diagram of the disc with the eccentric hole. The more off-center the hole is, the more it vibrates.



Once I mix my plaster, and right before I pour, I turn on the vibrator. I turn if off after filling the mold. Using this vibrator, I hardly ever see any air bubbles next to the patterns in my molds. The plaster is vibrated as it is poured, and fills in all spaces. I always seal around all edges of the coddles with clay when using the vibrator.

Another way to vibrate a mold is by tapping it with a small hammer, or other stout object. Once a mold has been poured, patting the top of the plaster with the flat of my hand can also release air bubbles.

Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.