Thursday, April 3, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 15




I made a hot-box to soften the oil-clay before using it. It is made from a clamp-on lamp fixture with a low-wattage incandescent lightbulb inside. The light is supported by a couple of strips of wood on top of a cardboard box. I put some aluminum foil in the bottom of the hot-box. Click on any image to enlarge it.






In the book, Plaster Mold and Model Making by Chaney & Skee, they recommend a marble slab to work on. What I have is a 1/2 inch thick piece of plate glass that has a plywood board under it, with a couple of strips of wood fastened to the plywood to make it easier to get my fingers under it in order to move it.






The smooth, flat glass surface works well for rolling out smooth flat oil-clay slabs. I use a rolling pin and a couple of wood strips of whatever thickness I need to make the oil-clay slab. So if I want to make a 1/2 inch thick oil-clay slab, I use a couple of 1/2 inch thick strips of wood as spacers under the ends of the rolling pin.

I warm the oil-clay in the hot-box, then place it on a piece of newsprint on the glass surface. The newsprint keeps the oil-clay from sticking to the glass surface. I add oil-clay until I have a slab a little larger than what I want. Then I trim the edges to get the exact dimensions. I trim the edges with a wooden clay modeling tool. I keep adding bits and pieces to low spots, and roll them into the slab until I have a smooth slab without any low spots.



Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.