Sunday, May 25, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 55




I get everything ready to pour the third piece of this four part mold. Being prepared takes a lot of stress off making molds. I have a lined trash container ready to pour excess plaster into. I have a bucket of water ready to rinse off my hands and tools. I have a scale to weigh water and plaster in a 2:3 ratio. I have mixing bowls and a sifter, and a scoop. My mold table has a vibrator attached. So I soap the mold first with a 50/50 mixture of liquid soap and water. Then I clamp the coddles around the mold. I secure the coddles to the mold table with some coils of oil clay. Then I weigh out one pound of water. I sift 1.5 pounds of plaster into a bowl, then add it to the water quickly and evenly. I let it slack. I push the island of plaster below the surface and squeeze out the lumps with my fingers. I stir the mix until it is smooth and creamy. When I can draw an S in the surface and see a trail remaining, it is time to pour the mold. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I turn the mold table vibrator ON. I pour the plaster into the coddles evenly until the area is full. I turn OFF the mold table vibrator. I pour the excess plaster into the lined trash container. I rinse the mixing bowl and my hands in the bucket of water. Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) into the drain pipes. I leave the plaster to set for at least one hour.






Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.