Saturday, May 31, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 61




I stored the new mold in a less traveled corner of the studio, behind the furnace, up on a couple of sticks of wood, for better air circulation. I will put some heavy-duty rubber bands around it before I turn it over. Wow !!! It took all this time to make two four-piece molds of the carving wax feet. Not all the molds for this doll will be this complicated. I tried two different ways to make the two molds. Of the two ways, I like the results of the second mold much better than the first mold. Nevertheless, I have documented about making a plaster build-up, even if it was not the best way to make the first foot. I may be able to use that method with some of the other doll parts? There are a total of 16 doll parts to mold, in total, counting the skull cap as an individual part. I have now finished two of the sixteen molds, so there are 14 doll parts left to mold. I try to do a little bit of work on my doll every day. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I found a new 2-Quart plaster mixing bowl at the local Tractor Supply for $3.99 + tax. I believe it is supposed to be used for feeding farm animals of some kind? Anyway, it is made of thick, heavy, flexible rubber. If plaster dries inside the mixing bowl, I can flex the bowl to get the plaster out. The bowl tares at one pound, so when I mix plaster, I must start counting from one, not zero. I think the nested set of four plastic mixing bowls that I was using cost about the same as this one bowl. The plastic mixing bowls have lasted for years, but are starting to crack, so I thought I would invest in a professional quality plaster mixing bowl. It should last for the rest of my life as a plaster mold maker.






Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.