Monday, October 27, 2014

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 182




Today I poured the third part of the mold for the upper leg. I have already cut the registration keys. I clamp the coddles around the mold as tightly as I can. I add some oil-clay coils around the inside edges to seal it. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I secure the mold to the mold table with some oil-clay coils. I will be using the mold table vibrator when I pour the plaster. If I don't secure the mold to the table, it will move around due to the vibration. I want it to stay in one place while I am pouring the plaster.






I apply the parting agent. I use a 50/50 mix of liquid soap and water. I apply the parting agent with an old paint brush. I pour the parting agent from the main supply jar to a small paint cup, and I apply the parting agent from the paint cup.






I weigh out two pounds of water in the mixing bowl. I always tare the mixing bowl to zero before I weigh the water.






I weigh out three pounds of plaster of Paris.






I quickly sift the plaster into the water. Always add plaster to water. I let it slack until it soaks up all the water. I push the island of plaster under the water and squeeze out all the lumps. The plaster is ready to pour when I can draw an "S" in the surface, and it leaves its mark. I turn on the vibrator which is attached to the mold table. I pour the plaster into the coddles evenly while the vibrator is running. This helps to release air bubbles. I turn off the vibrator. I leave the mold to setup for at least an hour.






I pour the excess plaster into the lined trash bag. I wash my hands and the mixing bowl in the bucket of water. Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) down the drain pipes.






Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.