Wednesday, June 17, 2015

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 212




In this series of snapshots I am removing the coddles from the mold and cleaning them and the oil clay and mold table. I can see all the little places I missed sealing with oil clay. The leaks are relatively small because the holes were small AND I poured the plaster when it was just the right stage for pouring. I determine that stage by drawing an S shape with my finger in the mixed plaster. When the S just barely stays on the top of the mixed plaster, I know it is ready to pour. Click on any image to enlarge it.






In some places I had placed an oil clay coil over the hole, but didn't press it down hard enough to completely seal the hole.Sure enough, the poured plaster will find the hole, especially when I am using the mold table vibrator during the pour.






This is one of the larger leaks. It was stopped by the oil clay coils I pressed all around the bottom of the coddles.






Other than a few leaks, this mold piece looks like it came out pretty good.






Here I have removed the oil clay wall where the third mold piece will go.






Here, the oil clay build-up has been removed.






I have now scraped all the plaster off the coddles, and put all the oil clay in a pile to be cleaned. After I scrape the coddles, I scrub them with the nylon scrubby to get the plaster dust off. I will take each piece of oil clay and thoroughly clean all the bits and pieces of plaster off of it. Sometimes the pieces are so small that I have to use an old toothbrush to get them off. I do not want to run into any pieces of plaster when I am reusing this oil clay for another clay build-up.






This is the cleaned oil clay, rolled into coils, ready to reuse. It weighs about 4 pounds.





Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.