Friday, July 3, 2015

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 228




I started to place the coddles around the mold, for pouring the next mold piece. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I fastened the two side coddle boards opposite each other.






Then I sealed the spaces between the coddles and the oil clay build-up.






I put the back coddle board in place, secured it with clamps, and sealed around the bottom with oil clay coils pressed into place. I still need to apply parting agent to the plaster in front before I mix and pour the plaster.






How much water and plaster will I need? I did a little bit of arithmetic to get a better estimate.



Referring to the rough sketch above, which is not to scale, I took some measurements of the area I will be pouring next. The build-up has a slight angle, so when I measured, I took that into account. First I figured out how much volume the wedge had. Then I figured out how much volume the block had. I added the two volumes together. Then I took two thirds of the total volume as the amount of water I will need. I subtracted a cup of water for the lower torso that is sticking into the area. That isn't exact, it is a conservative estimate. Anyway, I got 11.89 cups of water, which I rounded up to 12 cups of water. 12 cups of water weighs 96 ounces, which is 6 pounds. The ratio of water to plaster that I want is 2 parts of water to 3 parts of plaster, by weight. So I will measure 6 pounds of water and 9 pounds of plaster for this mold part. The plaster costs about 47 cents per pound, so I will be using about $4.23 worth of plaster for this mold part.




Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.