Thursday, July 9, 2015

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 234




I like to soap the mold right before I pour it. I like to pour the mold when I have a large uninterrupted period of time to work. I mixed up some parting agent, using a 50/50 solution of liquid soap and water. I always like to pour a little of the soap solution from the jar into a smaller container to work from. I completely soap all the plaster surfaces at least three times. I use an old paint brush to apply the soap. A soft elephant ear sponge is usually recommended, but I don't have one. The best soap applicator I have ever used was a one inch wide Japanese Hake brush. The type of applicator is not that important, as long as it will apply the soap solution without harming the plaster or the pattern. So I don't let it stop me if I don't have the exact tool that is recommended. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I clamped the coddles together again, then secured them to the table with coils of oil clay pressed all around the bottom of the coddles, and vertically on the seams where they join.






This is the other side. I cut another piece of 2x4 to put over here.






This is a bird's eye view of the mold, ready to be poured.






This mold piece has a similar shape as the previous piece, but is slightly smaller overall. So I did some more arithmetic to estimate how much plaster to mix. I ended up figuring out that I would need to mix 3,5 lbs of water and 5.25 lbs of plaster. I subtracted 2 cups of water for the carving wax lower torso that sticks out in this part of the mold.






Wow. I estimated this one pretty close. There wasn't any plaster left over. I used the mold table vibrator during this pour. I washed my hands, mixing bucket, and tools in the bucket of water I keep handy. Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) down the drain pipes.



I always leave the mold to setup at least an hour. There is still some more work to do on this mold before I can start on the upper torso. I will need to open the mold and remove the carving wax lower torso. I need to carve the spare. I need to bevel the edges of the mold. Then I can band it and store it to dry.




Links To BJD Tutorials




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.