Thursday, August 13, 2015

09 Plaster Production Molds Nº 269




I use a 50/50 solution of water to liquid soap to make the parting agent. I mix up a jar of parting agent at a time. I pour some parting agent from the jar into a small container to apply the parting agent. I usually make at least three applications of parting agent per mold piece.

Often in the rush of things, doubt may arise as to whether you have or have not soaped a certain piece; in these cases, always soap again. [p.21] Plaster Mold and Model Making. Chaney & Skee. Click on any image to enlarge it.






I measured out the same amount of water and plaster as for the first mold piece. Always add plaster to water. After adding the plaster to the water, I let it slack until all the plaster is wet. Then I mix it thoroughly by hand until it is ready to pour. I use the mold table vibrator when I pour the plaster. Any excess plaster is dumped in a lined trash bin. I clean the mixing container, tools, and my hands in a 5-gallon bucket of water that I have ready. Never put plaster (dry, set, or wet) down the drain pipes. Being prepared takes a lot of anxiety out of making plaster molds.






Always let the plaster mold sit, undisturbed, for at least an hour after pouring. This is the second of five mold pieces for the upper torso. The third piece will be for the socket end. The fourth and fifth pieces will be for the arm sockets.






Links To BJD Tutorials Updated 1 August 2015




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my personal BJD making journal. All comments are moderated. If you make a new comment under an old post, your comment will be published under the old post. I reserve the right to publish or delete any comments made, at my own discretion. Thank you for looking.